Can you Freeze Lentils?: Lentils are considered to be the healthiest food. Even you can use mix and match them with various other food items. Even if you want to include them regularly in your diet you can do it by freezing the lentils.
Now, you must be thinking ‘Can you Freeze Lentils?’ The answer is YES! here, you can learn the necessary steps to freeze and defrost cooked uncooked, or raw lentils. We are providing the answer to every question of yours. Have a read the below sections for details information.
- Can you Freeze Lentils?
- Can you Freeze Canned Lentils?
- How to Freeze Lentils?
- Tips to Freeze Lentils
- How long Can you Freeze Lentils?
- How to Defrost Frozen Lentils?
- Can You Refreeze the Cooked Lentils?
- Can you Freeze and Reheat Lentils?
- What is the best way to freeze lentils?
- Can you freeze dry uncooked lentils?
- Can you Freeze lentil soup?
Yes, lentils can be frozen for up to one year. You can store the dried lentils in a container. You must cover it and refrigerate it within two hours of cooking. These lentils can be stored in the freezer for about 5-6 days and can be kept frozen in the freezer for about 6 months.
Yes, canned lentils can be frozen for about 1 year if they can remain unopened. If you have opened the can and kept the lentils in the container then can be consumed in 3-4 days. You can freeze them for 1-2 months in the refrigerator
There are days when you are in a hurry to prepare a meal using lentils. Then the frozen lentils will surely save you time. You can adopt various methods to freeze the lentils. Here, you can learn the steps of how you can freeze the lentils.
- To begin with, empty the dried lentils into a straining vessel. Now, pick out and discard oddly shaped lentils and large pieces of dirt and debris. Rinse the remaining lentils under cold running water.
- Fill the saucepan with water. If the lentils are half a cup then take a full cup of water. Boil this water in full.
- Now, add the cleaned lentils to this boiling water. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, until they are crisp and tender.
- Empty the lentils into a straining vessel to drain the cooking water.
- Spread the lentils on a sheet and set the baking sheets in the freezer for three to four hours. Then, transfer the frozen lentils to plastic freezer bags or freezer-proof containers.
NOTE: Green or brown lentils usually take 30 to 35 minutes, and red lentils take about 15 to 20 minutes.
Green Gram Split
Nutritional Information (Approx. Values)
No. of Servings per Pack: 20
Serving Size: 50 g
|Nutrients||Per 100 g||*%Contribution to RDA per Serve|
|Total Sugars||0.95 g||–|
|Added Sugars||0 g||0|
|Total Fat||1.20 g||0.90|
|Saturated Fat||0.25 g||0.56|
|Trans Fat (other than naturally occurring trans-fat)||0 g||0|
*%RDA values are based on the Energy requirement of 2000 kcal/day for an average adult as per ICMR 2010, it may vary as per an individual’s calorie needs.
There are a few tips that are recommended to the user to freeze the lentils.
- Do not cook the lentils before freezing.
- To keep the lentils separated. Place them on a baking sheet before keeping them in the freezer. Then, transfer these to the bag.
- Generally, green and brown lentils maintain their shape well when cooked, frozen, and defrosted. Thus, green lentils can be used in a variety of dishes.
- Red and yellow lentils, usually split, which causes them to become mushy when cooked. These can be used for purees, baby food, and dishes where sofer lentils are required.
Lentils can be kept frozen and used within three months. They can be refrigerated for 1 week. But make sure that the freezer bag or the container you have chosen is air-tight. In addition, the duration of freezing cooked lentils is for about six months.
It is very easy to defrost the lentils. You are just required to proper the correct procedure. The method also depends according to the dish you want to prepare.
- As, if you don’t need the lentils immediately you can keep them in the fridge overnight they will thaw automatically.
- If you need the lentils immediately, then you can place them in a bowl of warm water. For a quicker way, you can also microwave them. You can now use these thawed lentils in frozen salads or sizzling recipes.
- If you have semi-cooked lentils frozen, then you can easily add them to your dish without even following any procedure before. The heat of the soup or curry will automatically thaw and make them suitable for eating.
After you have defrosted the lentils once, it is not recommended to refreeze them again. That’s why it has been recommended to always use a small proportion of the lentils once frozen. But if you had them thaw on the counter, reheat them properly before you refreeze them.
FAQs on Can You Freeze Lentils
Yes, frozen lentils can be reheated easily. You can reheat the lentils at a minimum of 75 degrees. Make sure if you are adding the lentils to some other dish then it should be peeing hot.
The best way to freeze lentils is to store them in airtight containers. Place those containers in the freezer.
Yes, you can freeze dry uncooked lentils in the freezer.
Yes, how you freeze the lentils curry, you can freeze the lentils soup. Always use the thick freezing bag to avoid spillage. You can store this lentil soup for up to 6 months.
Lentils are considered the best source of protein that can be added to numerous dishes. They are also inexpensive and can be used in various ways. Thus, if you are willing to add lentils to almost every dish then you can keep them furze for quicker use.
With the above information, ion you must have an idea of how you can freeze the lentils. For more queries, you may ask your doubts in the comment section below. Our team of experts will help you out ASAP!