Can You Freeze Apple Shortcake? Apple shortcake is basically apple pie without the base of a pie. Instead, think of cooked apples that have been sweetened and then placed on top of a crumble cake base and baked. And finally, the baked item is served with a generous amount of whipped cream. Now, while apple shortcake is one of the best winter desserts out there, you may want the answer to a single question. Can you freeze apple shortcake?
We will answer not only that question for you in this blog but also every other related question about freezing apple shortcakes. We have tried to make this blog your one-stop guide on freezing apple shortcakes. So let’s get going!
- Can You Freeze Apple Shortcake?
- How to Freeze Apple Shortcake?
- How Long Can You Freeze Apple Shortcake?
- How to Thaw Frozen Apple Shortcake?
- Tips on Freezing Apple Shortcake
- Can You Refreeze Thawed Apple Shortcake?
- Do Apple Shortcakes Freeze Well?
- Will freezing apple shortcake affect its texture?
- Can you freeze apple shortcake with whipped cream on top?
- Can you freeze apple shortcakes with fresh apples?
Yes, you can freeze apple shortcake. In fact, apple shortcake, when frozen properly will retain its delicious taste for about 3 months. Following those 3 months, the dessert will continue to be edible for a few more months. It will, however, have lost most of its flavor, texture, and taste!
That said, freezing apple shortcakes does not create any discrepancies in the quality of the shortcake. This is especially because this is a dessert that is not quite as moist as a proper pastry but not as dry as a cookie either. It sits in the sweet spot in between because of which the apple shortcake does not develop icicles or soak in excess moisture.
Freezing apple shortcake is easier than you might think. Here is a detailed guide on what you need to make sure that your delicious dessert remains safe in your freezer for a while!
- The very first step you need to take is to give the freshly prepared shortcake some time to cool down to room temperature. This step is crucial for your shortcake because otherwise the vapor will condense onto the apple shortcake when it is in the freezer and ruin its texture.
- Once your apple shortcake has cooled down properly and uniformly, use a knife to cut the dessert into portioned bites or slices. Make sure that you cut it in the manner you would like to serve it later. If you would rather serve the entire cake rather than slice pieces of it, then don’t bother with this step.
- Once you have sliced the shortcake as per your preferences, you need to break out the plastic wrap. Make sure that you wrap the apple shortcake in an airtight manner without any scope for air within the wrapping. This step is crucial because, in the circumstance that you do leave some air pockets between the shortcake and the plastic, it will be extremely prone to freezer burn.
- Place the wrapped portions or slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer. This will help them freeze faster and prevent them from sticking together.
- After the portions or slices are frozen solid, you can transfer them to a resealable freezer bag. Label the bag with the date and contents.
Given that apple shortcake actually freezes quite well, you can safely keep it in your freezer for 3 months. After 3 months you will still be able to eat it. But, there is a good chance that the dessert will have lost its charm and flavor. Therefore, we would advise you to finish eating it in the first 3 months.
We find that the best way to thaw Frozen Apple Shortcake is to simply allow the room temperature to do the work. Therefore, simply place the frozen shortcake on a rack of some sort, and keep the entire set up on your kitchen counter.
Leave it there for a couple of hours so that it thaws uniformly. That said, we would advise you to make sure that the shortcake remains well-ventilated and that the water that is released, does not percolate on the cake itself!
Here are some of the best tips that we found to be useful when freezing apple shortcakes. Give them a shot and see how they work out for your dessert!
- Foil wrapping is the key to preserving your Apple Shortcake properly. Simply put, apple shortcake gets destroyed by freezer burn. And freezer burn sets in due to the presence of air in the wrapping. Ensuring an airtight wrap using the foil can make sure that your apple shortcake remains protected from freezer burn altogether!
- Place your apple shortcake in the center of your freezer and as far away from the sides as possible. The farther you keep the shortcake from the walls of your freezer, the better its chances of surviving the freezer!
- Make sure that your freezer is at its coldest setting. This will help you avoid tasting ice crystals in your frozen apple shortcake.
Yes, you can refreeze thawed apple shortcake. The reason that you can do this is the absence of dairy and meat. It is usually these two ingredients in a food that face risk when freezing. Since the shortcake is prepared without using these quick-spoiling ingredients, it can be refrozen without the worry of any of the ingredients spoiling or rotting!
That said, your apple shortcake can undergo some undesirable changes as far as its texture is concerned. The shortcake may become dry and crumbly, making it difficult to eat it properly!
Yes, apple shortcake does indeed freeze well. The ingredients are usually immune from quick spoilage. Therefore, a shortcake that has been properly wrapped and stored in the freezer will freeze for a long time.
That said, your shortcake must be wrapped in an airtight layer of foil and plastic cling film. If you do not follow through on that step, your shortcake will ultimately succumb to freezer burn.
FAQs on Freezing Apple Shortcake
Yes, freezing apple shortcake will affect its texture. Your apple shortcake will become crumbly and dense. However, it will retain its taste perfectly well.
No, you cannot freeze apple shortcakes with whipped cream on top. Whipped cream is an ingredient that gets ruined very quickly. You would be better off freezing the shortcake and then adding the whipped cream when you’re ready to eat it.
Yes, you can freeze apple shortcakes even with fresh apples. However, the fresh apples may become black or soft upon freezing. Therefore we would advise you to add freshly cut apples to the shortcake when you are ready to eat.
In a Nutshell
While apple shortcake is a fantastic dessert, you should know how to freeze it. Foil and plastic cling film are the two layers that will preserve your shortcake effectively. Happy freezing!